Instagram is a highly interactive app, but it has led to an increase in spam messages and unwanted connection attempts.
While some people are all about fame and engagement, Instagram still has millions of users who wish to maintain privacy and avoid connecting with strangers. With a few simple settings, you can limit unwanted Instagram interaction with strangers.
The app offers multiple ways to restrict communication with specific users. You can select the options that can help you maintain your desired privacy.
Ways to Limit Unwanted Interaction on Instagram
Here are the different methods to restrict people from communicating with you on Instagram. You can choose them according to your convenience.
Turn On Instagram DM Filters
On Instagram, the ratio of receiving messages seems to increase if you have a business profile.
You can receive cold promotional requests, collaboration opportunities, product reviews, general spam, and messages from followers and people you know.
As your account grows, these numbers continue to increase, which can result in stress. Turning on DM filters is the best practice for running a business profile efficiently. Remember that DM filters are only available on public and business accounts.
To turn on DM filters on Instagram:
- Open your Instagram DMs. It is the small icon in the top right of your screen. You may see the Messenger icon if your Instagram is linked to Facebook. If not, the classic DM arrow is visible.
- From the DM, tap the Filter icon on the right of your search bar. It opens the inbox filtering options available.
- To check all unread messages, select Unread. Worn Flagged to access any pending DMs with reminders. Tea Verified Accounts option opens messages from inclusive verified accounts with a blue tick. If you have a Close Friends list, use this option to only see their messages.
You might need to flag messages yourself. To do that:
- Select the user that you want to put under the flagged list.
- Swipe the DM to the left to open a new menu.
- Tap More.
- Select Flag and a small yellow marker will appear on the right side of that DM. To access messages from flagged accounts, users can filter the list.
By implementing these techniques, you can organize your messages and go through only the useful ones.
Restrict Users on Instagram
Sometimes, we don’t want to interact with a particular follower but we do not want to block them permanently, either. For such users, Instagram offers a restriction mode. You can put a person under restriction without them knowing about it.
The user has complete access to your profile, but their messages never hit your primary inbox and their comments are invisible to other users. This feature is available for both public and private accounts.
To restrict an Instagram account:
- Open your DMs and choose the account you wish to restrict.
- Tap the username to open your conversation with them.
- Tap on their username to open Details. It contains different settings you wish to achieve regarding that account.
- Navigate down to see restrictions and tap it.
- A menu featuring what will happen if you restrict this particular account will appear.
- Select Restrict Account, and the settings will be applied. The messages from that account will automatically move to the Message Requests folder.
Restricting an account is helpful, especially if you wish to avoid and eliminate that person from your Instagram without noticing them. Most people use this feature for toxic real-life contacts.
Block Users on Instagram
If you feel that an Instagram follower is crossing the line or doing something unethical, consider blocking them. Many people with public accounts deal with hate and spam, so this is a useful feature for them.
There is no limit to the number of people you can block on your Instagram account. If you feel blocking is the only way to feel safe on Instagram, here is how to do it:
- Choose the user you wish you block in your DMs.
- From DMs, click the username on top to open Details.
- Tap on block gold Block other accounts they may create. Instagram allows blocking other accounts created by the same user because they can create a new account from the same email and mobile phone.
The other way to do it is by searching for the user you wish to get rid of.
- Tap the Search option (the magnifying glass).
- Use the search bar to find the user you wish to block.
- Type in their exact username until the results are visible.
- Select their profile.
- From there, navigate to the three horizontal dots in the top right corner of your screen. It will open a menu for actions you wish to perform related to the account.
- Tap on block gold Block other accounts they may create, depending on your concerns and personal safety.
Blocking is an extreme step taken by the user to remove a follower from the list. You need to unblock them to revoke the restriction. Unlike restricted accounts, blocked users can find out whether they have hit your block list or not. All their likes from your profile are removed as well.
After unblocking, the user can follow you again. If you have a private account, the user will need to resend a follow request and wait for you to accept it. Only then can they view your content.
Manage Instagram Privacy for a Safe Experience
Sometimes, public accounts can become hard to manage. Despite having a profile with content visible to everyone, you can create some security and privacy barriers that reduce the risk of facing unwanted interaction.
Multiple reasons like abuse and security threats can lead a person to change their Instagram privacy settings. Users can filter the DMs and restrict accounts. These settings do not notify the other person.
You can also block users so they cannot find or contact you on Instagram. However, the blocked users can know that they have been blocked. We hope this article helped you limit unwanted Instagram interactions and brought peace to your everyday browsing.